Most of the high school volleyball programs in the area got their seasons started in matches played Monday and Tuesday, while Eddyville Charter played its second and third matches early this week.
The Eagles, who began the season with a four-set victory Aug. 27 at Falls City, fell in five games Monday at home to Crosshill Christian before hitting the road Tuesday to best 1A-3 Mountain West League-rival Mapleton, 17-25, 25-18, 25-27, 25-14, 15-10. Eddyville was slated to face Crow on Thursday at home in another league contest.
All other Lincoln County volleyball programs to see match action early this week lost on Tuesday in season-opening contests. Western Christian outlasted Toledo in five games in Salem in a non-league 2A match, while Taft fell in three games at Santiam Christian in 3A nonconference play.
Class 4A-3 Oregon West Conference Newport, which went 10-0 last season, was swept at 3A-2 PacWest Conference Yamhill-Carlton.
None of the area volleyball programs’ coaching staffs submitted match details to the News-Times or the school district’s score reporting portal prior to deadline.
Monday, Aug. 30
- Crosshill Christian def. Eddyville Charter, 25-22, 16-25, 25-9, 21-25, 15-8.
Tuesday, Aug. 31
- Siletz Valley at Triangle Lake, canceled.
- Eddyville Charter def. Mapleton, 17-25, 25-18, 25-27, 25-14, 15-12.
- Western Christian def. Toledo, 25-18, 26-28, 25-20, 14-25, 15-10.
- Santiam Christian def. Taft, 25-3, 25-14, 25-13.
- Yamhill-Carlton def. Newport, 25-12, 25-19, 25-15.