NEWPORT — Oregon’s first surf contest of 2021 takes place this weekend at one of the central coast’s prime locations.
The Agate Beach Surf Classic returns tomorrow (Saturday) and Sunday to Newport’s historic Agate Beach, hosted by the city of Newport Parks & Recreation and sponsored in part by the News-Times, Ossies Surf Shop and 10 Barrel Brewing Co.
Action begins at 8 a.m. Saturday, with preliminary heats scheduled to run through 4 p.m. Contest finals competitions start Sunday at 8 a.m., followed by an awards ceremony slated to conclude at 4 p.m. Competition categories include:
- Youths ages 12 and under
- All-age/gender stand-up paddle board
- Female ages 13-19 (long or shortboard)
- Women ages 20 and over (long or shortboard)
- Pro/am men shortboard
- Junior male ages 13-19 (long or shortboard)
- Men’s longboard ages 20-49
- Men ages 50 and over (long or shortboard)