The city of Newport has a vacancy on its Police Advisory Committee. The committee meets at 6 p.m. on the fourth Wednesday of each month at city hall.
The responsibilities of the Police Advisory Committee include things such as:
• enhancing police-community relations and reviewing police activity and calls for service.
• educating committee members regarding police practices, protocols, procedures and updates; reviewing police officer performance; and providing a community perspective and recommendations concerning procedures, programs and the effectiveness of the police services.
• engaging in training to learn about policing and promoting public awareness of the city’s police services and programs.
• serving as a liaison between the police department and the community.
• reviewing policies and procedures and making recommendations to the mayor, city council, or police chief.
• responding to community concerns in a timely manner.
Anyone interested in applying to fill this vacancy on the Police Advisory Committee should apply using the city’s committee application which is found on the city website at www.newportoregon.gov; click on “City;” then on “Committees;” and then on “Application for Committee/Commission.” The completed form can be submitted electronically. Hardcopies of the committee application form can be obtained by contacting the city manager’s office at city hall, or by calling 541-574-0613. The application deadline is Oct. 22.