Backyard debris burning will reopen this Saturday, April 24, for people living in the city of Newport and within the Newport Rural Fire Protection District.
A temporary ban was put in place last week, on April 13, due to a combination of high winds and low humidity, which created potentially hazardous conditions. The Newport Fire Department said at the time the ban would be lifted when the weather changed and higher levels of humidity returned.
In a press release issued by the fire department Thursday morning, Fire Chief Rob Murphy said with predicted rain and higher relative humidity in the forecast, backyard debris burning can resume beginning Saturday.
Residents are required to have a permit to burn yard debris. These permits are available free of charge by calling the main fire station at 541-265-9461.
”We thank the public for exercising caution during our recent dry weather,” Murphy said in the release. “We ask everyone to be fire safe and courteous to your neighbors when burning yard debris. Please call us if you have any questions.”